Out of Country ITIN Application Process: What You Need to Know

January 12, 2024
2 min read
itin support - Out of Country ITIN Application Process

Applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from outside the United States can seem like a daunting task, but with the right guidance, it can be a smooth and straightforward process. This blog post aims to guide you through the "Out of Country ITIN Application" process, including the steps involved, documentation required, and where to find professional assistance.

What is an ITIN Number?

Before we dive into the application process, let's first understand what an ITIN is. An ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but do not have and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN). This nine-digit number is essential for non-U.S. citizens and foreign nationals to comply with U.S. tax laws and engage in various financial transactions.

How to Apply for an ITIN from Abroad

Step-by-Step Process

  1. Form W-7: The primary document required for an ITIN application is Form W-7, which can be downloaded from the IRS website. This form must be filled out accurately and completely to avoid any delays or complications.
  2. Supporting Documents: Along with Form W-7, you must provide a certified copy of your passport, which serves as proof of your identity and foreign status. If a passport is not available, the IRS will accept a combination of at least two other documents, one of which must contain a photo. Consult the ITIN document checklist for more information.
  3. Tax Return Filing: Attach your completed Form W-7 to your U.S. tax return. If you are applying for an ITIN to claim a tax treaty benefit or for another reason that does not require a tax return, you must provide the exception documentation.
  4. Submission: The completed Form W-7 and the tax return (if applicable) should be mailed to the IRS. Alternatively, you can use the services of a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) for this process.

Using a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA)

CAAs are IRS-authorized professionals who can assist with the ITIN application process. They can certify your identification documents and help ensure your application is complete before it's sent to the IRS. A list of CAAs is available on the IRS website.

ITIN Support Services

At ITIN Support, we specialize in assisting with ITIN applications for clients outside the U.S. Our service includes verifying your passport, handling all the paperwork, and ensuring that your application is correctly processed. We charge a one-time fee starting at $189, offering a streamlined and efficient service.

Timeframe for Processing

The usual processing time for an ITIN application is six to eight weeks outside peak tax season (January to April). However, this can extend during busier periods. You can check the status of your ITIN application by contacting the IRS seven weeks after your application is submitted.

Why Do You Need an ITIN?

An ITIN is necessary for various reasons, including:

  • Filing U.S. tax returns and claiming eligible tax credits or deductions.
  • Opening U.S. bank accounts and establishing a financial presence in the United States.
  • Applying for U.S. credit cards and building a credit history as a non-resident or foreign national.
  • Engaging in various financial and legal transactions that require a U.S. taxpayer identification number.


Applying for an ITIN from outside the U.S. can be a straightforward process with the right guidance and support. By following the steps outlined above and utilizing professional services like ITIN Support, you can navigate this process with ease and confidence.

If you have any further questions or would like assistance with your ITIN application, please visit our website at itin.support or contact us directly. Our dedicated team is here to guide you every step of the way, ensuring a stress-free experience.